Xenophobia: FG to Evacuate 83 Nigerians From South Africa
The Federal Government will evacuate another 83 Nigerians from South Africa amid renewed concerns over xenophobia and attacks against foreign nationals.
The returnees are expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs disclosed this in a statement issued on Tuesday.
According to the ministry, the Nigerians will travel on South African Airways from Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg. The flight is scheduled to depart at 3:35pm local time and arrive in Lagos at about 8:45pm.
The latest evacuation was made possible through the sponsorship of flight tickets by public-spirited private individuals. The ministry expressed appreciation for their support.
The development follows the conclusion of the Federal Government’s voluntary repatriation programme, which has returned nearly 1,490 Nigerians from South Africa.
The repatriation programme was launched amid concerns over rising Afrophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments in parts of the country.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Federal Government remains committed to protecting Nigerians living abroad.
It added that Nigerians in the diaspora remain important to national development under the government’s Citizen Diplomacy agenda.
The ministry also urged corporate organisations, state governments, private-sector groups and other well-meaning Nigerians to support efforts to assist citizens facing consular emergencies.
The statement said the latest group of 83 Nigerians would arrive in Lagos on Wednesday via South African Airways.
It added that the government would continue working with South Africa and other host countries to address the causes of Afrophobia and prevent violence and discrimination against Nigerians.
The ministry also called for perpetrators of attacks and discrimination to be held accountable.
South African anti-immigration group sets September 30 deadline
Meanwhile, South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has announced September 30 as a new deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.
The group made the announcement during a protest outside the Southern African Development Community summit in Durban on Tuesday.
March and March had previously organised nationwide protests on June 30. The group demanded tougher action against undocumented foreigners and said it would continue its campaign.
According to BBC News Pidgin, the group described its latest action as the second phase of the June 30 protest.
It also called on African leaders attending the 46th SADC Summit to take back citizens who are living in South Africa without legal documentation.
Also Read: Davido Reveals: ‘There Was a Time I Was Broke’
The 46th Ordinary SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government is taking place in Durban. Leaders from the regional bloc’s 16 member states are attending the meeting.
The protest has renewed debate over South Africa’s treatment of foreign nationals.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa recently condemned discrimination and violence against citizens of other African countries.
“We are deeply ashamed that people from other countries have suffered ill-treatment and that others have been forced to leave the country because of threats of violence,” Ramaphosa said.
He added that South Africa could not promote regional integration at a summit while exclusion continued on its streets.
The latest development comes as several African countries continue to monitor the treatment of their citizens in South Africa.
For Nigeria, the Federal Government’s latest evacuation provides another response to concerns over the safety and welfare of Nigerians living in the country.



